The Machame route which sometime they called WHISKEY ROUTE is the most attractive route to climb up Mount Kilimanjaro with great background than any other route. The accommodation on the way up and down is only camping i.e mobile tents. This route is extremely suitable for adventurous hikers because of its tireless hike work. Normally the best minimum duration to complete climbing the mountain is 7 days (6 nights) Impressive Vertical Barranco Wall is another attraction on this route, so supply of oxygen is as well great on this route due to its vegetation.
|Arrival Day||Arrive at the Kilimanjaro International Airport whereby you will be meet and greet with NAT DMC professional guide and drive you to Hotel in your Hotel in Arusha City preferred at Mount Meru Hotel for your evening relaxation, trip briefing, dinner and overnight stay on a half board meal plan|
|Day 1||Early morning after breakfast our driver guide will pick you from your hotel and start a 2-hours safe driving to Machame Gate in Kilimanjaro, Moshi for entry registration, payment of fees and do a final parking ready for climbing.
With our picnic lunch boxes, will then begin the climbing from Machame Gate through the natural forest and plantation on a winding trail for approximately 6 hours to reach to Machame Campsite (3020m) for dinner and overnight. The distance is 10.8km, over 1200m of elevation gain. Today can be quite tiring, particularly the final two hours.
|Day 2||In the morning after breakfast, continue ascend to Shira Campsite (3847m/6 hours hike) for dinner and overnight crossing a little valley and walking along a steep rocky ridge covered with heather until the end of the ridge.
It is normal to experience mild headaches on this day, which should be alleviated with paracetamol. Those choosing to take Diamox should begin their course this morning with half a tablet (125mg) in the morning and the other half prior to supper in the evening. Distance hiked in this second day will be 5.2km.
|Day 3||After breakfast, we will continue ascend to Lava Tower called Shark’s Tooth’ (15,180 ft/ 4642m) from Shira plateau with lunch box on the way to Barranco Wall and then descend into Barranco Camp (12,850 ft) for dinner and an overnight stay. This will take a 7 hours’ trekking
If the weather is good, you can ask your guide to take you to the summit of the Lava Tower (4688m) where the views are excellent. Lunch is normally taken at the foot of the tower. Descend from Lava to Barranco Camp (3984m).
Distance from Shira to Lava Tower is 7.0km. while from Lava Tower to Barranco is 3.7km. After your arrival at the camp, each couple will be supplied with a bowl of hot water for washing and enjoy dinner prepared by our cook with passion.
|Day 4||Just after breakfast, you will start with a tailspin into the Gorge, before you climb its eastern wall and you will delight in views of Kilimanjaro’s ice fields, an equatorial anomaly. Go on hiking until you reach Kilimanjaro Karanga Valley at 13,900 feet, (4-5 hours of hiking). We will then take dinner and overnight at Barafu Camp (14,910ft) It is advantageous to have a mental image of today’s profile so you don’t get psyched-out by all the rise and fall.|
|Day 5||Wake up at midnight for delicious snacks and thereafter ascend to Uhuru Peak through the Stella Point (18,640 ft). After reaching the summit, we start descending to Mweka Camp (10,010 ft) for dinner and overnight stay (approximately 5 hours)|
|Day 6||After breakfast at Mweka camp then descending down to Mweka gate at an attitude of 1640m for check out logistics and start drive back to Arusha at the base hotel for trip debriefing, certificate award, dinner and overnight where you will choose to relax or celebrate This will take 3 hours’ drive|
|Day 7||Transferred to Kilimanjaro International Airport for flight back home.
NB: Depending on the flight schedule, we can organize either a day Safari Trip to Arusha National Park or extensive visit at the local cultural market for an extra cost before taken to the airport for flight back home
Route Mark Points and Estimated Time Frame (Ascend and Descend)
|Route Point||Estimated Time Frame|
|Arusha International Hotel – Hotel of Choice in Arusha City||1 hour|
|Hotel in Arusha – Machame Gate||2 hours|
|Machame Gate – Machame Campsite||6 hours|
|Machame Campsite – Shira Campsite||6 hours|
|Shira Campsite – Barranco Camp||7 hours|
|Barranco Camp – Barafu Camp||5 hours|
|Barafu Camp – Uhuru Peak||2 hours|
|Uhuru Peak – Mweka Camp||5 hours|
|Mweka Camp – Machame Gate||3 hours|
- Transfer fro and to Kilimanjaro International Airport on arrival and during departure
- Ground local Transport
- All park fees (including Mountain entrance, rescue and hut fees)
- All applicable government taxes
- Accommodation in both Hotel and Mountain (Huts and Tents) and meals as indicated in the confirmed itinerary
- Services of English-speaking mountain guide and assistants,
- Cook service and adequate porters to carry both trip provisions and passenger private bags.
- Purified drinking water while on trekking
- Hot meals (except first day) served in the mess tent
- Comprehensive First aid Medical Kit.
- Emergency Oxygen at no extra charge
- Fingertip Pulse Oximeter, to measure client’s oxygen saturation and pulse rate daily.
- 24/7 radios/ phones communication
- Certificate of Appreciation for Climbing Achievement
- Climb briefing conducted by our Office Staff and Leading Guide prior to climb
- AMREF Flying Doctors cover for medical evacuation which last for 30 days effective arrival date
- International and domestic airfare
- Tips/ gratuities to guides ($25), porter ($15) and Cook ($10) per guide per day per group, porters and Cook
- Items of personal nature such as passport, visa, traveler’s insurance, hard drinks e.t.c
- Personal climbing gears which can be rented e.g sleeping bags
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 15 kgs. Any excess /overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $15 per bag per day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or register at our office in Arusha. We strongly advise not to leave any valuables at the hotel like cash, electronics, jewelry, etc instead you can register them at our office for free charge.
- Our Guides are highly trained on High Altitude Mountain Sickness (AMS), signs and treatment, High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE) signs and treatment as well as High altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) signs and treatments.
- Qualification of our Guides compiles with the International Wilderness First Air Rescue procedure.
- It is advisable prior to departure from your base hotel to leave and register your extra luggages and valuables for safe keeping as we have an official agreement with them to avoid extra charges while on hiking except for huge Cash which you will register with our office.