Ol’ Doinyo Lengai or Mountain of God in the Maasai language (2,962 meters), is an active volcano mountain in Tanzania and the world which is located in the northern Tanzania lying just south of Lake Natron in the Rift Valley within the Arusha Region of Tanzania, East Africa in the heart of Masai which is regarded as sacred mountain. The mountain is 240 kilometers to the northwest of Arusha town along the western escarpment of the Great Rift Valley, overlooking Lake Natron on the border with Kenya.
Ol’doinyo Lengai is the only active volcano in the world that erupt natrocarbonatite lava which is cooler than other lavas about (510 degrees C) compare to the temperatures of basaltic lavas (1,100 degrees C) with less silicon. Since it is an active volcano, the mountain remains closed for climbing when there is eruptions.
Unlike others two highest Mountains in Tanzania, Ol Doinyo Lengai takes about six to seven hours to the summit crater. Also, the Mountain is an ideal adventurous place for a working safari escorted by the Maasai guides with weapons. Tourists can sight wild animals like olive baboon, velvet, monitor lizard, hyenas, lion, leopard, jackal, Grant’s gazelle, impala and zebra. The nearby are the Maasai BOMAS that gives you a chance to interact with the indigenous learn their cultures, taboos and traditional.
The area around Lake Natron is often described as having a desolate and almost lunar landscape beauty. Walks around the lake and to the streams and waterfalls along the nearby escarpment, make for a fantastic adventure off the beaten track.
|Day 1||Arrive at the Kilimanjaro International Airport, meet and transfer to Hotel of Choice in Arusha City, Tanzania|
|Day 2:||Morning at 8.30am after breakfast pickup from the hotel in Arusha city and depart for Lake Natron on the great lift valley – Mt. Lengai base arrive at the afternoon hours then little tour at lake Natron by foot. Around 11.30pm transfer to the base of Mr. Lengai|
|Day 3:||Start climbing to the Mt. Ol’ Doinyo Lengai (2896m) which will take about 4 to 5 hours on a normal climbing pace. The trekking is extremely vigorous and will require a physically fitness of the climbers since before sunrise will arrive at the peak.|
|Day 4:||Picked in the morning for transfer to Arusha City for lunch then transferred back to the JRO airport for flight home.|
|NOTE||You will choose Hotel or Camp of your choice for Dinner and Overnight|
- Transfer to and fro KILIMANJARO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (arrival and departure)
- Local Transport to the mountain and back to the hotel
- All park fees and government taxes
- Full board Accommodation and meals as indicated in the confirmed itinerary
- 4 days of trekking and 1-night at the hotel of choice in the Arusha City bed and breakfast
- Services of English-speaking mountain guide, assistant guides and enough porters for your luggage, food and water, and a skilled cook
- International freight fare
- Climbing gear which can be rented on arrival
- Items of a personal nature such as passport and visa
- AMREF Flying Doctors Insurance Cover which will last for 30 days effective arrival date
- Tips/ gratuities to guides ($25), porter ($15) and Cook ($10) per guide per day per group, porters and Cook
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 15 kgs. Any excess /overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $15 per bag per day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or register at our office in Arusha. We strongly advise not to leave any valuables at the hotel like cash, electronics, jewelry, etc instead you can register them at our office for free charge.