Mount Meru, which is located within the Arusha National Park, overlooking Arusha town, is the second highest mountain in Tanzania after Kilimanjaro. It is an exciting mountain to climb. There are numerous animals to see on the lower slopes and vegetation zones change as you ascend.
Parts of the climb along the saddle are very steep but the views of Kilimanjaro 80km to the northeast and of the cliff face from the summit down to Meru Crater are spectacular. One does not however need technical equipment for the climb.
The best time to climb the Meru Mountain is between October and February, although there may be some rain in November.
|Day 1||Arrive at the Kilimanjaro International Airport, meet and transfer to Hotel of Choice in Arusha City, Tanzania|
|Day 2:||Morning transfer to Momela Gate (1500m) to start the climb registration. After registration there will be 3 hours walk to Miriakamba Hut (9,370 ft) for dinner and overnight. You will be excited in the afternoon while explore the Meru Crater during the walk.|
|Day 3:||Start climbing to the big valley and then to Saddle Hut (11,700 ft) which will take about three hours along the steep Saddle walls. After lunch, you will then climb a little higher to explore Little Meru (3820m) about 1 ½ hour hike in the afternoon then back to Saddle Hut for dinner and overnight.|
|Day 4:||Early in the morning start final ascend to the summit of Mount Meru (14,980 ft) which will take up to 5 hours and then return to Miriakamba Hut for dinner and overnight|
|Day 5:||Start an easy walk in the morning after breakfast to Momella Gate with arrival at 11.00am then picked for transfer to Arusha City for lunch then transferred back to the JRO airport for flight home|
- Meet and Transfer to and fro Kilimanjaro International airpot (JRO) during arrival and at the time of departure
- Local Transport to the mountain and back to the base hotel
- All park fees and all applicable government taxes
- Full board Accommodation and meals as indicated in the confirmed itinerary
- 4 days of trekking and 1-night at the hotel of choice in the Arusha City bed and breakfast
- Services of English-speaking mountain guide, assistant guides and enough porters for your luggage, food and water, and a skilled cook
- AMREF Flying Doctors Insurance Cover which will last for 30 days effective arrival date
- International freight fare
- Climbing gear which can be rented on arrival
- Items of a personal nature such as passport and visa
- Tips/ gratuities to guides ($25), porter ($15) and Cook ($10) per guide per day per group, porters and Cook
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 15 kgs. Any excess /overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $15 per bag per day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or register at our office in Arusha. We strongly advise not to leave any valuables at the hotel like cash, electronics, jewelry, etc instead you can register them at our office for free charge.