6 DAYS TREKKING ITINERARY
Marangu Route is the famous, oldest and most established path to reach the summit among all other routes by far in which sometime they call COCA COLA ROUTE. The greatest advantage of it is that it does not require any professional equipment, it offers accommodation in the mountain huts containing proper beds and other basic necessities like washrooms, toilets and communal dining halls and fairly cheap compared to others. It is advisable that, climbers should additionally bring their sleeping bags as they will be supplied only with mattresses and pillows.
The climbing provide for 6-days climbing duration in a safest way that we highly recommend. However, the success rate of this route is pretty low due to acclimatization. Using a longer route will help your body acclimatize better to the mountain’s environmental conditions.
DAY BY DAY
Day 1: DAY 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) – Arusha City
Welcome to Tanzania!
Upon arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport, you will meet a representative from NAT – DMC and will transfer you to Mount Meru Hotel within the City of Arusha for relaxation, trip briefing and overnight while exploring the glance of Arusha City and Mount Meru view.
Day 2: Arusha City – Marangu Gate (1,860 m) – Mandara Hut (2,715 m)
In the morning next to your breakfast, you will depart Arusha City and drive to the Kilimanjaro National Park, home of the world’s tallest free-standing mountain at 5,895m high. On arrival at Marangu Gate you will sign in, complete your registration and other formalities before you begin hiking with your team.
Then, you will ascend through the rain forest on a cleared ridge where many of Kilimanjaro’s wildlife is found. An alternative and more scenic parallel trail follows a stream through the undergrowth and offers the option to re-join the main trail after 1.5 hrs of trekking or just before your arrival at Mandara Hut then you will spend the night with a well-deserved dinner.
Day 3: Mandara Hut – Horombo Hut (3,720 m)
After breakfast, you will proceed along a steep ascent through the rain forest which later opens into high Moorland where you will see some of Kilimanjaro’s spectacular flora and fauna. You will have the opportunity to walk to Maundi Crater which offers views of Northern Tanzania and Kenya, and if weather permits you may get your first glimpse of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks. In the early afternoon you will arrive at Horombo Hut where you will rest while your Chef prepares for your delicious dinner.
Day 4: Horombo Hut – Kibo Hut (4,703 m)
Early in the morning after hot breakfast you will take the lower route which is easier and most recommended where you can pass near the water point at 4,200 m and you will need to fill your bottles with enough drinking water as this will be the last water point otherwise you can buy mineral water or soft drinks at Kibo Hut.
After 2 hrs of walking you will reach Kibo Hut which is built with stone blocks and have 60 bunk beds and platform toilets. It is at the barren Alpine desert with only grasses and everlasting flower where you will overnight.
Day 5: Acclimatization Day
This is an acclimatization day. Horombo is usually bustling with hikers thus it is an atmosphere of adventure and excitement, and we increadibly recommend this additional acclimatization day and night to give you a greater opportunity of summit attempts.
We will continue with ascent into alpine desert and to the Saddle before proceeding to Kibo Hut where the summit is only 1,195m above you. You will enjoy an early dinner and retire to your tent where you will be preparing for your hike to the summit later in the night. At 23. 00 hrs, you will be woken up by your guide for a quick tea or coffee and snacks before starting the journey.
Day 6: Kibo Hut – Uhuru Peak (5,895 m)
You will proceed with your trek into the early hours around 23. 30 and the first section of the trail consists of a rocky path to the Hans Meyer Cave at 5,510 m where you will have the opportunity to take a short rest if required, then continue along a steep path to Gilman’s Point at 5,681m which is located on the Crater rim and this is the most demanding section of the Marangu route.
From Gilman’s Point it is common to encounter snow all the way to the Uhuru Peak. Here you will watch the sunrise from the Roof of Africa, a once in a lifetime experience.
After a time of enjoying the view you will begin your descent to Kibo Hut for breakfast and some well-deserved rest before continue with your descent to Horombo Hut where you will spend your final night on the mountain.
Day 7: Horombo Hut – Marangu Gate – Arusha City
Next to breakfast you will continue with your descent to Marangu Gate where successful climbers will receive their summit certificates. Your vehicle will be awaiting for you and will pick you to Arusha City for relaxation, more celebrations and overnight stay.
DAY 8: ARUSHA CITY - KILIMANJARO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Depending on the flight schedule, we can organize either a day safari trip to the Arusha National Park or extensive visit at the local cultural market for an extra independent personal cost before taken to the airport.
We prefer visiting Arusha Cultural Heritage and Tanzanite Museum including having hot BBQ at the Tembo Club then proceed to JRO for flight back home
- Airport transfer on arrival and during departure
- Ground local Transport
- Climb briefing conducted by our Office Staff and Leading Guide prior to climb
- All park fees (including Mountain entrance, rescue and hut fees)
- All applicable government taxes
- Accommodation (Hotels, Huts and Tents) and meals as indicated in the confirmed itinerary
- Service of a Professionally Multi-linguistic linguistic mountain-guide and assistants (well-trained translator guide) with wide variety of skills:
- Cook service and adequate porters to carry both trip provisions and passenger private bags.
- Unlimited mineral drinking water while on trekking
- Comprehensive First aid Medical Kit.
- Emergency Oxygen at no extra charges
- Fingertip Pulse Oximeter, to measure client’s oxygen saturation and pulse rate daily.
- 24/7 radios/ phones communication
- Certificate of Appreciation for Climbing Achievement at the end of the exercise
- International and domestic airfare
- AMREF Flying Doctors cover for medical evacuation which last for 30 days effective arrival date
- Tips to guides ($25), porter ($15) and Cook ($10) per guide per day per group
- Items of personal nature such as passport, visa, traveller’s insurance, bar drinks e.t.c
- Personal climbing gears which can be rented e.g sleeping bags
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
BOOK THIS TOUR WITH US
CALL BACK FOR MORE
Enquire now and a Noble Adventure Expert will be in touch within 24 hours!
We specialize in a tailor made independent safari select programmes, that is absolutely responsive to our Client’s tastes, preferences and highly considerable to value for money.